Operation Risk Assessment (ORA)
The producer and their veterinarian will perform an ORA to identify
management practices that pose a significant risk for introduction and
spread of BVDV on the operation as well as to establish the risk of BVD-PI
animals on the operation. The ORA will also document pre-enrollment
management practices including herd health and reproductive records. These
data will be used as a baseline to measure program participation outcomes
Infectious Disease Control Best Management Practices Implementation
Producers enrolled in the program must establish a management plan
that includes the following best management practices:
Last Edited: May 03, 2010 4:49 PM
- Animal Identification - All animals on the operation require
- Monitoring of basic production and health parameters.
- Perform BVD-PI testing on the entire year’s calf crop, bulls and
retained open cattle on the operation. This testing should be done
prior to the next breeding season.
- Plan for confirmatory testing of any BVD-PI positive animals and
proper disposition of any BVD-PI test positive animals.
- Perform BVD-PI testing of all herd additions prior to arrival or
integration into the herd or purchase replacement animals from
certified Minimal BVD Risk Operations.
- Comprehensive BVD virus vaccination program.