What is SAVMA?
The Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA) was created in 1969 as the national organization of veterinary students, which has enabled individual SAVMA Chapters to function effectively as a single unit on the national level.
Currently, SAVMA is comprised of 37 student chapters (30 in the U.S., 1 in Canada, 3 in the Caribbean, and 3 in the United Kingdom) at accredited veterinary medical schools/colleges and one student association organization in the Caribbean representing
a total of over 16,000 veterinary student members and associate members. SAVMA is lead by an Executive Committee and a House of Delegates (HOD) consisting of two representatives from each SAVMA Chapter and Associate organization. SAVMA also has
voting representation in the AVMA House of Delegates.
The Washington State University College of Veterinary Medicine's Student American Veterinary Medical Association is 1 of the 37 chapters from United State's and International Veterinary Colleges that comprise the Student American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA).
The Student American Veterinary Medical Association's goals are modeled after its parent organization, The American Veterinary Medical Association (AVMA). The AVMA's objectives are "...to advance the science and art of Veterinary Medicine, including its relationship to agriculture and public health.” The goals of the WSU Student Chapter of the American Veterinary Medical Association (SAVMA) are:
- To promote a spirit of friendly relations among veterinary students.
- To provide additional opportunities for the members to gain professional knowledge and an understanding of professional ethics and conduct.
- To demonstrate the virtues of organized effort.
- To promote an attitude of professionalism, fairness and honesty among veterinary students in the College of Veterinary Medicine.
- To develop characteristics of leadership through training received in conducting chapter affairs.
- To make available to the students, the opportunities offered by the AVMA to it's student chapters.
SAVMA members are eligible for a host of benefits:
- SAVMA Travel Grant reimbursements
- Ability to be a member of WSU CVM clubs
- Access to SAVMA/AVMA scholarships and grants and externships
- Access to AVMA Members Edge discounts and deals
- Free online access to JAVMA + 20 years of archives
- Free liability insurance through AVMA PLIT
- $25,000 worth of free life insurance through AVMA Life
- Attendance to SAVMA Symposium, AVMA Convention, and IVSA Congress & Symposiums
If you are a member all 4 years of vet school:
- Free graduation cap and gown
- Free AVMA membership the first year following graduation + reduced membership the following two years
- Free registration to AVMA Convention the year you graduate + a credit for registration to another AVMA Convention within 5 years post-graduation
Each year SAVMA members are eligible to attend SAVMA symposium that is usually held over spring break at various veterinary institutions. This provides opportunities for students to attend lectures and labs to supplement their core education in areas of interest to them. There are also competitions students can participate in as well as tours highlighting the area around the hosting institution. This is a great opportunity for students to network and grow as future practitioners.
SAVMA at WSU:
- Rabie Run is our annual fundraiser and 5k “zombie run” to promote rabies awareness and support the elimination of rabies as a human and animal health threat worldwide. All funds from this event are donated directly to the WSU Eliminate Rabies campaign.
- Wellbeing week where SAVMA provides activities to help reduce stress during heavy exam weeks.
- #VetMedUnited is an annual event in April that focuses on wellbeing and remembering victims of suicide in the veterinary field.
- Symposium Auction is an annual event that helps raise funds to help send students to SAVMA symposium so they do not have to take out additional loans to be able to supplement their education.
SAVMA Symposium Funds
College of Veterinary Medicine
PO BOX 647010
Pullman, WA 99164-7010